Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:43:47 -0400
From:         Tom Buese <tantonbz@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacement fuel tank question
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

My 1990 syncro doka has an 18+- gallon gas tank, but i have been able to put 18.7 gallons in it, which means I was completely out of gas when I pulled into the station, or the pump lied! That said when filling the tank, the pump shutoff usually stops pumping at about 13-14 gallons, & then I nurse it to top off the tank/filler neck w/ the above claimed gallonage.

YMMV,

Mr. BZ-fuel pump still works well, so tank must be clean?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote:

> That was a joke. But, if you are filling with 14 gallons, you have 1.6 > gallons left, or 27.2 miles. Helpful if you know the distance to the next > gas station down the road. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mike B [mailto:mbucchino@charter.net] > Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:29 PM > To: Stuart MacMillan; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Replacement fuel tank question > > I would never run it until it's nearly empty just to get more miles, so > I still only get 225 miles between fill-ups at the same red area on the > gas gauge. If you want to risk running out of gas and/or and ruining > your expensive fuel pump, that's up to you. I don't risk either. > > Mike B. > > On 7/21/2014 8:11 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > > Not quite, the tank is 15.6 gallons. I get 17 on the highway, 265 miles > if > > I coast into the filling station. > > > > Stuart > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf > Of > > Michael > > Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 3:46 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Replacement fuel tank question > > > > My 87 Westy is getting 16mpg with a 14 gallon tank so I'm getting less > range > > than you thought was ridiculous on your motor home! > > > > Sent from my iPhone > > > >> On Jul 21, 2014, at 18:12, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > wrote: > >> > >> Not only the NHTSA but also EPA or other compliance issues. The > >> vehicle and the emission control system including the vapor recovery > >> is designed for that size tank. Back in 1998 I tried to upgrade the > >> tank on my 1992 Ford > >> E-350 based motorhome. It had a 35 gallon tank and at 7 to 7.5 mpg > >> gallon the range was ridiculous. A 55 gallon tank was an option from > >> the factory so I ordered the tank and related parts from the dealer. > >> When I went to pick the stuff up I had to provide the VIN. Sale denied! > >> > >> Dennis > >> > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > >> Behalf Of Stuart MacMillan > >> Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 8:28 PM > >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >> Subject: Re: Replacement fuel tank question > >> > >> I suspect that fuel tanks have to pass NHTSA testing as done by the > >> manufacturer in their vehicle crash tests, which is why VW didn't > >> change the design two years into production. No aftermarket supplier > >> is going to take on this liability either. > >> > >> Stuart > >> > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: Roy Nicholl [mailto:RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA] > >> Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:20 PM > >> To: Stuart MacMillan > >> Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >> Subject: Re: Replacement fuel tank question > >> > >> > >> I find it strange that the aftermarket providers who continue to > >> manufacture fuel tanks for these vehicles continued to keep the "saddle" > > in their > >> construction. A few quick measurements of the tank dropped from the > '88 > >> indicates one could expect 14-18 additional litres of fuel if they > >> were not there and the tank would be simpler to manufacture. > >> > >> > >>> On 20-Jul-2014, at 20:50, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > >>> > >>> No, and blame Volkswagen for introducing the vanagon with the > >>> obsolete air cooled engine. Was not worth it for them to re-tool for > >>> a couple more gallons of gas. > >>> > >>> Stuart > >>> > >>> -----Original Message----- > >>> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > >>> Behalf Of Roy Nicholl > >>> Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:28 PM > >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >>> Subject: Replacement fuel tank question > >>> > >>> All, > >>> > >>> Does anyone make a replacement fuel tank for the water-cooled Vanagon > >>> w/o the cavities/moulded passages for the air-cooled heater pipes. > >>> While I appreciate the needs of the air-heads, I would prefer the > >>> extra range this capacity could provide if that volume was on the > >>> inside > >> of the tank. >

-- Tom Buese