Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:45:06 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Another question about O2 sensors..
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

Mine was recently found to be shorting or something...essentially inoperative, but sending a 'wrong' signal that caused my Digifant 92 jetta motored 84 to run badly. I unplugged it and it runs fine. Plugged it back and it ran fine until it warmed up...then bagan stumbling and running super rich and badly again.. With lots of list help, I am pretty sure there was an issue with the O2 sensor, so I un plugged it and I have driven the van about without the O2 sensor...it runs just fine, but I think I am getting poor fuel economy and there is a sooty deposit on the bumper by the exhaust tip...Anyhow, my new Bosch single wire sensor came from Van Cafe and I just installed that, started the van and ran it till it was fully warm....without any stumbling or missing...There is no cat in this van, by the way...But here is the odd thing...I can't really tell any difference in the way it runs....It ran 'perfect' without the sensor hooked up and it now runs perfect again with the new one installed...But I would like to know if I now have fixed the whole problem or if I actually still have a problem between the O2 sensor and the ECU......and now maybe the wires aren't really connected and the sensor is still in op...

so my new question is: Is there a Backyard Mechanic way to tell if the O2 sensor is now functioning as it should be? I know I can probably count on better gas mileage again, if it's working, so I can go fill and see how crappy it was doing without the sensor plugged in, then run a tank full and see if I am back to my normal 23mpg....But, is there some trick way, like unplug a vac line, or one of the other sensors and get some indication that the new O2 sensor is or is not functioning? I wish I had one of those exhaust gas readers, but no luck there.. Thanks,,Don Hanson