Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:34:55 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another question about O2 sensors..
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Well lots of confusion and I certainly appreciate all the answers..... I called the guys at Van Cafe and asked them, since they sell a lot of the single wire O2 sensors..They ran out to the shop and asked their mechanic...he says people only need the signal wire...everything else that was connected for a 4 or 3 wire sensor is superfluous once you swap to the single wire one.

The wire I am/was asking about, it comes out of the insulated sheath....in my case, that insulated tube is not braided but it is a hard solid lead kinda tube that dives into a large segment of the harness headed to the ECU and the air intake....The wire is black and is the same size as the purple signal wire and insulated from the sheath, just like that signal wire...

I guess I should just drive it and see if I am back to my normal gas mileage...I doubt the former O2 sensor was connected wrong,,,since I've always seen 23-25mpg except recently when I was having the issue with that old sensor......so if I am down some now, with the ground not connected, I would guess it needs to be hooked to something like the block or chassis...

That is the problem with any swap done by a previous owner rather than by you...One can never be 100% sure exactly what the fellow did/used/ fudged, etc...He told me when I got the van that the motor was from a 92 Cabriolet, which I have always ordered parts for , and they are right...so I believe that...but where I sometimes get stumped for a while is exactly where did he connect the stuff from the Cabriolet to the stuff left over from the WBX? A lot of the parts are identical and interchangeable...but some are not....mainly only the hard parts. I think the O. Owner re-used every possible part from the Vanagon so as to get it done cheaply. The Bently book I have says my motor is IDigifant II and I've never seen anything that makes me think otherwise..

It's too late this evening but I am also going to call the boys at Techtonics Tuning and ask them....Since I bought a lot of stuff from them and I made friends with them, send them business from time to time, they are always pretty helpful and cheerful with sharing information when I get really stumped...

Now for unrelated but Vanagon chat...I have been driving my worker van to Hood River, Oregon and working on a restored victorian house right in downtown HR....From my work site in the drive way I can see two Syncros, a normal WBX westie and a bay westie...and I can't see more than about half a block for all the oak trees....3 or 4 GM vans, too...