Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jul 2014 00:14:25 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What's the correct bulb needed in this  '82 Westfalia?
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com>

At 11:48 PM 7/28/2014, Karl Wolz wrote: >David, > >Nope. Thought he had the same bulbs as my '85. Sure do like those >LEDs in mine.

Yeah, my '84 was delivered in Germany and it had the same fixture he does. The first (and every subsequent) time I saw one of those three-bulb fixtures I was shocked, because this one puts out a bright-white hard-edged light that's pretty amazing. It even looks nice when it's not lit, like the cut glass fairy was practicing and just filled the whole thing with prisms. And uses a lamp that costs ten bucks and back in '90 wasn't so easy to find on line. We actually at the time (especially after the time the diffuser warped from overheat) used a 7-watt CFL reflector-flood in a clip-on gooseneck fixture. Up high on the crossbar it would light the whole cabin, and you could move it wherever you needed for lots of light and less than an amp draw by the inverter.

My '89 has a table and a fluorescent light and it lights up the table area very well and the whole interior not bad. But I hear what you say about the LEDs.