Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Aug 2014 09:16:08 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: shore power vs batteries
Comments: To: mcr@SANDELMAN.CA

Unless it has been modified in some unusual way, your camper already has 120 V hookup, and an outlet in the storage compartment under the rear table, down by the floor. It also has an outlet under the sink, where the refrigerator is powered on A.C. mcneely

---- Michael Richardson <mcr@SANDELMAN.CA> wrote: > I am the new owner of a '91 Westfalia (three weeks today). The second battery > discussion thread made me decide to post. I already have two batteries, and > spent a good two hours once my Bentley arrived figuring out how they were > wired. There are a few devices which I'd like to power from 12V, including > a mesh wifi access point, and as many USB power sources as I can wire in. > I'm thinking... who needs ashtrays... USB power... Looking for sources of > 12V->USB converters that aren't in the lighter plug format that I can shape > into ashtray replacements... > > So camp sites seem to have grown lots of 120AC hookups, and I'd rather run my > toys on AC than battery if I can, but I want them hooked up to 12V so I have > an option. I initially thought of some kind of battery charger, but really I > think that I would want more amps, and not to mess with the batteries if I > can avoid it. So I'm thinking of a switching PSU from the computer industry, > and build a new 12V bus--- I might be able to find a sub-ms 12V transfer > switch so stuff won't reboot. I'm wondering if anything has attempted such a > thing? Or am I too cautious, and I should just use some kind battery > charger. > > I'm also looking for a mosquito-proof way to get the shore power in; I'm > thinking I should drill hole the floor behind the driver's seat and seal a > short (4") extension cord in. > > -- > Michael Richardson > -on the road-

-- David McNeely