Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:02:19 -0700
From:         Michael Magnani <mfmagnani@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Manual Transmission Drive Flange Seal

 Thanks Larry, I did just that and finally called the helpful guys at Van Cafe and had them actually measure the seals, which are 091.301.189. The width is 15 mm, just like the ones I took out. They're on their way from Santa Cruz to Van Nuys. Mike M On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:57 AM, Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM> wrote: It might work, but if you Google the number, you will see lots of sites that say wheel bearing...like Dennis said. Larry A. On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM, Michael Magnani <mfmagnani@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I checked the part numbers on the bag and the part numbers given on bus > depot.com and they're one and the same. The only difference is the width. > My guess is that this style seal is the preferred spare. Unless anyone has > thoughts to the contrary, my plan is to press the new seal into the > adjusting ring until it's flush and call it good. Comments welcome. > Mike M > > > On Monday, August 11, 2014 8:48 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > wrote: > > > > I think the seal you have is for the rear wheel bearings. > > > Dennis > > > > > > > > > Sent from Windows Mail > > > > > > From: Michael Magnani > Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎August‎ ‎10‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎43‎ ‎PM > To: Vanagon > > > > > > Ok, I got the right side Drive Flange off with little or no drama. Now I'm > faced with obtaining the correct seal. What I have in hand is a 211 501 317 > seal I purchased some time ago from my FLAPS. ID & OD seem correct but it's > only half the width. The new one is 7mm thick while the old one is 15.5mm. > The original seal has 091 301 189B on it. > Any ideas on where I can get something that more closely resembles the > original? > Thanks. > Mike M > > Sent from my iPad > > > On Aug 10, 2014, at 12:12, OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > >                Mike > > > >        Yes ~ Sounds to me like you have TheHandleOnIt ~ The > CircClipPliers need to be the Type that > > > > Expand as you Squeeze, IIRC ~ I've done several of these but not on a > regular basis so the Mem' is a > > > > BitFuzzy on it ~ Pretty sure I have never encountered any Unintentional > AdjusterRing Movement ~ > > > >                                                        ORR ~ DeanB > > > >> On 10 Aug , 2014, at 12:26 PM, Michael Magnani wrote: > >> > >> Hi Dean, > >> Thanks for the info. So, just to be sure, based on your experience I > assume the following to be true: > >> No big spring behind the Drive Flange. > >> No need to remove the Adjusting Rings. > >> No Special Tools required other than Circlip pliers, seal puller and a > method to install the new seal. > >> Have I got that right? > >> Many thanks. > >> Mike M > >> > >> > >> On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:53 AM, OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET> > wrote: > >> > >> > >> > >>        No SpecialTools Needed to change the DriveFlangeSeals ~ It might > be Helpful to have CirClip Pliers & > >> > >> a VeryLarge ScrewDriver(to Pry the OldSeal out) & a VeryLarge Socket(I > think the one for the RearAxleNut > >> > >> is BigEnough IIRC) to Drive the NewSeal in ~ But once you have CVJ > Unbolted & out of the way it might be > >> > >> a 1/2Hr Job, Tops, to get the Seal changed ~ There is a CirClip that > holds the Flange InPlace & once it is > >> > >> Removed the Flange should just SlideOut Revealing the Seal ~ Pry it out > with a ScrewDriver ~ Put the New > >> > >> One in ~ Slide the Flange back in ~ Replace the Clip(don't even need > CirClipPliers for that step IIRC) & It's > >> > >> Done ~ > >> > >> >                        ORR ~ DeanB > >> > >> > >>> On 10 Aug , 2014, at 12:07 AM, Michael Magnani wrote: > >>> > >>> Thanks for the reference on Bentley 35.14. That shows it perfectly. > Given my time constraints and lack of special tools, I'll be only replacing > the center caps and see if that cures the leak. Do you think any of the > list vendors sells the Drive Flange seals or the special tools? > >>> Thanks again, you guys, for the great information. > >>> Mike M >