Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 2014 13:36:25 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torn PS rack boot before 1500 mile trip
Comments: To: "Andrew R." <a.richar@GMAIL.COM>

If the steering rack is not leaking you're probably okay.  My '87 failed inspection for a torn boot and leaking rack.  I replaced the boot, but I'd heard that if it is leaking and you continue to drive you can damage the pump so monitor yours closely.  Mine would begin to groan due to low fluid every few days so I would refill and after a few times removed the belt driving the PS pump.  Non-power steering is only a hassle at low speeds or when parallel parking, or any time your bride drives it.  She will remind you of this if you're insensitive enough to think it will not matter. Now, more than a year later, I've just pulled the Westy into the garage and put it on jackstands so I can rebuild the rack with a new seal kit from Bus Depot so that both of us can enjoy the drive to the Adirondacks next month.  Good luck, congratulations and best wishes. Stephen  On Saturday, August 9, 2014 3:12 PM, Andrew R. <a.richar@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Hey all, It never ends...after a full motor and trans rebuild a month ago, I find the passenger boot on the steering rack is torn but mostly intact.  I zip tied it back onto the rack flange to keep it in place. I'm getting married in a week followed by a two week, 1500 mile road trip. Don't have time or money to fix now.  Can I just drive it, monitor fluid, and fix it this winter? Thanks, Andrew '87 GL Portland, OR