Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2014 00:08:49 -0400
From:         Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cheaper Fridge??

Mine just arrived from Amazon today. I'll report back after I've used it a while. The 65-quart model was only $25 more than the 45-quart, but after getting mine, I'm glad I went with the smaller one. It's somewhat bulky and I don't think I'd want one with larger outside dimensions. I bought the Square Trade 3-year warranty. Although one reviewer of the warranty had said he had trouble with Square Trade, a friend has had several positive experiences with them.

One some other forums, it was suggested that Whynter makes the fridges for Edgestar/Koldfront (sold through Compact Appliance as their house brands). They look almost identical, though the latter are advertised as 43 and 63 quarts rather than 45 and 65. I called both companies and both deny that Whynter makes the fridges for Compact Appliance. Another review had mentioned trouble with theirs purchased through Compact Appliance, and being referred to Edgestar, so I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer is.

In any case, it was somewhat of an impulse purchase. I've got a Vitrifrigo/Truckfridge for my soon-to-be-repaired Westfalia, but I'll be taking a trip to Canada in my '84 passenger Vanagon and I wanted a fridge for that. Although I'll have the camper back in a few weeks, I couldn't resist having a fridge in my "back-up camper."

Ed

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 2:41 PM To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Cheaper Fridge??