Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 2014 08:21:29 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Now it starts: racing idle
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>

What do you mean movement in "shift level"?  Back and forth?  Left and right?  Up and down? On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:18 AM, Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA> wrote: After signing praises for the Hyena yesterday for its 5800km journey w/o incident, I went to drive it this morning for the fist time since our return.  After I was on the road for 10-minutes, I had to stop for construction.  While stopped, the idle climbed to ~2000 RPM and pegged there.  I tapped the fuel feed pedal and it momentarily dropped to normal and then climbed again.  I tried tapping the pedal a few additional times and had the same result.  Interestingly, when I let the clutch out a little and put a but of load on the engine, idle dropped to normal and stayed there .... until the next time I stopped. This process repeated itself twice on the way home, but there were several time when I stopped that it did not happen. I have been unsuccessful trying to reproduce the symptom while sitting in the drive.  I have checked and lubed the throttle cable, but do not think that is the cause. I have an odd theory I wanted to run past the list to see if I am out to lunch.  Is it possible that I have loose/worn transmission or engine mounts which are allowing enough play to affect the throttle at idle?  The reason I ask is that when driving (even on our trip home) in fourth gear, I can feel/view ~1.5-2" of movement in the shift level when I take my foot off the fuel feed while driving.  In my '66 Westy there was always movement - greater than in a car due to the length of the shift linkage and shifter - but not this much (I realize this is an apples and pomegranates comparison, but it's my only point of reference ... other than the test drives I conducted in other Vanagons). Is this a feasible explanation for my problem, or am I headed in the wrong direction? Roy