Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:37:10 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel tank reinstallation
Comments: To: Craig Cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

I have actually gotten this complete job down to less than 2 hours now. I use a floor jack in the center of the tank. I lift up the front of the van on ramps or have another jack that is raising up the front until the front wheels are off of the floor but at least a few inches. Jack stands can be a problem since sometimes they don't allow enough room for you to get the gas tank strap on the angle it needs to come out. You can bend and tweak the end of the gas tank strap to get it out of the hole in the frame but it is easier if you just have the van up in the air in the front as much as you can. Follow the instructions I have on the site. When putting it back together I install the cross over tube back up on the hook that is in the frame above the tank. I install the lines on the two tank nipples along with the plastic line. Install the three small grommets on the top of the tank as well and put some vasoline in each one. Make sure they are seated all the way in the hole. That means that if you look at the hole in the center of the grommet it is round and not oblong. I then just stick the two plastic lines into the grommet holes on each side temporarily. Center the jack again (a little tricky when the tank is light and empty) and begin to jack it up. At about halfway plus the sensor in then continue to jack it up the rest of the way (I usually do this from the driver's side so I can see that the wiring to the sensor is not going to be pinched). Once the tank is almost home, move the front edge up above the ledge that it needs to clear. Jack some more and seat the rear edge. Now you can install the straps and the rest is just hooking the lines back up. The last couple I have done went pretty smoothly. The only problem I had was actually draining the gas from the tank as that can be dangerous, and dirty. I would recommend waiting until you are low on fuel to do this job, then have at least two 5 gallon gas cans sitting side by side under the van that way if one is filled you can switch to the other one. Use a powerful flashlight to shine through the tank so you can actually see the level inside. Before you drop the tank, move the gas tanks out of the way so that don't get knocked over by mistake. Yes a little gas may leak out onto the floor when dropping the tank. I guess you could plug the feed and return hoses with bolts to prevent this but usually it is a very small amount.

I will updating my write up soon, but I am glad it is helping people!

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com