Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:24:16 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: EVAP charcoal canister
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I think if you look at a Legacy Subaru you'll see a simple bracket affair. Unbolts easy if I remember correctly.

but no, larger diameter so will not fit vanagon bracket.

what I vastly prefer to do is understand the basics of evap canister connections.. and plumb my own kosher system. \ ...Like I actually understand how it stores fumes .. and how it sucks them into the engine after engine start up.

vanagon is controlled by vaccum port that opens when throttle is opened I believe.. Subaru by vacuum switching valve . and it can be plumbed and controlled like it was on a vanagon.

a few interesting things I've noticed.. on a 1.9 wbxr the source of the of fresh air that gets drawn into the bottom of the evap canister is on the engine side of the air filter where it should be....clean air there.

Some 2.1 air boxes have a similar fitting ...but I've never seen one used...just capped off. most 2.1 air boxes don't have that fitting .. the 2.1's I've really looked into get their clean air to enter the bottom of the evap canister from an open hose stuck into a frame rail, and thus not filtered.

forget how the subaru is .. just google vaccum diagrams for the system you're working on .. they are pretty basic though ..not hard to figure out generally.

Scott On 8/21/2014 7:45 AM, Neil N wrote: > Appreciate that tip Scott. I'm sure others will too. This simpler type of > charcoal canister doesn't appear to be "rocket surgery" level in terms of > function. My hope is that the vw part I bought fits the vanagon bracket. > > Is the Suby canister bracket required if one retrofits that canister to a > Vanagon? > > > On Wednesday, August 20, 2014, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> Subaru ones can work too .. >> they are often 'right there' in the engine compartment .. >> say 90's era Legacies. >> >> >> On 8/20/2014 9:12 AM, Neil N wrote: >> >> ...... >> Scavenged a charcoal filter off a 94 Jetta. Part number 171 201 813 >> >> >> > -- > Neil n > > Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca > > '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: > > http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >