Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:06:43 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Seeking threading dies
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Well, all of us non-professionals have tools that we thought we had to have that we used one time and never again. But it is the case that for some jobs, you simply can't get anyone to do it. They don't charge too much, they just won't take the job as not being worth their time. The real kicker for some of us is that we have bought a tool to do a job, then ended up taking it to a professional anyway.

I sometimes end up selling the tool in a garage sale or on craigslist for a small fraction of what I paid, sometimes years later. mcneely

---- Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: > The wondering where the skilled folk have gone was a throw away line. I guess I get to many people fainting at my quotes for what seems like a small welding job. > > I don't know where the inflection point is on the graph that indicates when it is wiser to buy the tool or have someone do the job. Especially if the tool is quite specific. > > Alistair > > > > > > > On Aug 27, 2014, at 6:19 PM, Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > I own some cutting oil, and the necessary 38mm (1-1/2''), die holder ("die stock") was $15 American on the eBay. > > > > "And you wonder where the skilled folk have gone." > > > > Says who? I don't recall that subject coming up in a recent conversation . . . > > > > "I guess I'm grumpy [...]" > > > > One of the Seven Deadly Dwarfs. > > > > -- > > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > > Bend, Ore. > > > >> On 08/27/2014 06:03 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: > >> I'd charge that. But then again I might charge a couple of cases of > >> good beer depending on how hot the day is. > >> > >> But then again, buy the cheap dies, say 40 bucks for the pair, 10 > >> bucks for the cutting oil, oh you do have a die holder don't you? If > >> not then that's an added expense. spend some time practicing, then do > >> the job. Surely you will be doing it again some time. > >> > >> And you wonder where the skilled folk have gone. > >> > >> I guess I'm grumpy :) > >> > >> Alistair > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >>> On Aug 27, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Project Pat <psdooley@VERIZON.NET> > >>> wrote: > >>> > >>> Most shops have a minimum to avoid nickel and dime work. I wouldn't > >>> be surprised if they wanted $50. > >>> > >>> > >>> -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List > >>> [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of walkingboss Sent: > >>> Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:17 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >>> Subject: Re: Seeking threading dies > >>> > >>> For a one time job, and an odd size one at that. You might ask what > >>> a local machine shop would do it for you. Just thinking out of the > >>> box! > >>> > >>> Howard > >>> > >>> > >>>> Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Seeking threading dies

-- David McNeely