Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:19:51 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>
Subject:      Tranny musings (or, getting stuck on my lawn)

All,

While I have not had time to fully hunt down the "new" surging idle issue on the Hyena ('88 2.1l WBX Westy), I am slowly working through all the suggestions given here last week and employing a copy of the Digifant Pro manual.

Dennis raised the possibility of the 3/4 slider is moving with input shaft as the cause of my shifter moving with throttle change. I have since inspected and checked the torque on the engine and tranny mounts and all seem within spec. I have also confirmed that I do not get this movement in first or second gear. Short of dropping the tranny, what other diagnostic tests can be used to confirm/refute Dennis' rather expensive hypothesis?

Assuming Dennis is correct, I have the opportunity to acquire an ACW tranny from a '91 with only 125K on it. I was thinking about updating that one then swapping out my current transmission {I also have a line on a 5-spd ASR transmission, but it has a diesel bell housing and would require finding a 5-spd linkage. However it does have a 40% LSD. It is also significantly more money).

One thing I have notice in my short time as a Vanagon owner is the Hyena gets stuck much more easily than the '66 Westy. I actually had to use the TDi Jetta to pull the Vanagon out of the wilderness that is our lawn the other day. You would think such an undignified event would have shamed the Hyena {or at least its owner} into not parking on wet surfaces, but less than days later a similar event occurred climbing out a drive at a friends cottage. I have started investigating adding a limited slip or torque biasing differential to the tranny when rebuilt, but the projected cost is not encouraging .... I have only found one or two offerings (and suspect they may both be manufactured by the same provider) and the cost is more than what I would pay for the tranny itself.

Could someone with experience with a TBD/LSD weigh in on whether it is really worth the cost? Are their providers other than peloquin? What impact on my already pathetic fuel efficiency would it have?

Roy