Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Aug 2014 09:05:04 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery almost disaster

Hi Larry and others,

Not being able to see the Bentley is partly why I rely so much on the folks on this list. I have a print copy but seldom have a person here able or willing to look at it with me.

It sounds to me, from the list info,this wire with the warn off insolation is the wire to the dash fuse box.

I still wonder if when it grounded against the metal it caused either damage to my battery or other components.

When I took out the battery everything seemed to be working normally except the battery itself, and that only indicated bad at the cold cranks when the starter was engaged.

I'm covering up the wire carefully and then adding a pad of rubber against the side of the battery compartment wall. there is a slightly sharp metal weld there that I think somehow lined up just right with the wire and over time rubbed off the insolation.

I'm just glad I found this in my driveway and not out far from home.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia