Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Aug 2014 09:09:59 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge on 12V
Comments: To: Gilles H Turmel <gilles.turmel@SYMPATICO.CA>

This came up about a week ago. In theory, the 120V and 12V elements should provide the same heat to the ammonia cycle cooling system. Same heat = same cooling. This because both elements are rated for the same wattage.

To assure that the 12V element is getting the current it needs to do the job, the refrigerator's +12V line and its chassis/ground wire need good connections from battery and to chassis.

This is theory. There may be some detail in the construction of how the heating elements are connected to the bit in the refrigerator that needs the heat to run the cooling cycle where one is more closely-coupled thermally than the other, I dunno.

IN ALMOST RELATED NEWS, I was camping last week and used a portable Dometic cooler, the RC2000, for keeping foods frozen (or close to). Like the RM182, it is a small ammonia cycle machine, and has 12V, 120V, and propane settings. While driving I had it hooked to the house battery, and I can tell that it was drawing plenty power because the cigar lighter plug got real warm -- hot almost. Shouldn't get that hot, I'm going to look into the thing to see if I can sort it out. The house battery ammeter showed about 9A of constant current draw, indicating a solid current path.

While in camp, I had the cooler connected to a 5-gal propane tank. It was sited in sun, but had a reflective "space blanket" draped around it to reflect sunlight and radiant heat. I put a remote thermometer inside and measured temps one day (temps in F):

TIME OUTSIDE TEMP COOLER TEMP 0800 50 16 0900 51 17 1000 55 18 1100 65 19 1200 74 21 1300 78 24 1400 78 26 1500 78 35 1600 79 35 1800 77 35 1930 65 35 2100 57 34

That's not to say that these are the same results one would get with the RM182 -- details of construction including insulation will differ.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 08/30/2014 07:13 AM, Gilles H Turmel wrote: > Question to all: > What kind of performance are you getting on 12V? Mine sucks. > Best regards. > > Gilles Turmel >