Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:50:02 -0700
From:         Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge on 12V

Here is my response to a similar question posted four days ago:

############################### I just finished testing my Dometic 215B yesterday after chasing down some gremlins in my shore power 12v transformer. The fridge started at 82 degrees in the afternoon and gradually cooled down. By morning, it had dropped down to 36. By the following afternoon, the fridge had raised to 46 degrees while the outside temp was 90 and the cabin temp was 97. This was all done running off 12v with shore power plugged in. For monitoring fridge temperature, you really need a remote thermometer installed; the human hand is poorly suited for measuring temperatures(other than a child's fevered forehead) and every time you open the door, the cold air flows out and is replaced by warm air, further taxing the meager cooling capacity of the fridge.

These fridges take a while to cool down, so if your trip was only 2-3 hours, you won't see much cooling. I usually try to run the fridge off propane or shore power for several hours before a trip to pre-cool it. A lot of people think that the 12v mode can't effectively cool the fridge because they don't understand that the ammonia cycle fridge behaves differently than a compressor fridge. It takes at least 30 minutes of heating before the complex cycle reaches a state where it will start cooling the fins, and if heating is interrupted for more than a few minutes, it has to start all over again. Most systems will cut power to the fridge when the engine is shut off. So, if you drive for 8 hours and stop for gas, stop for lunch, stop at the store for a six-pack of camping supplies, and stop for a quick tour of the string cheese museum, your fridge may only be cooling things for 3-4 hours because of all the interruptions in the ammonia cycle. There is a nice write-up of this available on the interwebs called "Reefer Madness" that is a must read. I have my fridge wired so that it will run off battery power even with the engine off to avoid cooling interruptions. If I'm going to stop for more than 45 minutes or so, I switch it over to propane, to avoid deeply discharging the aux battery. ###############################

Bottom line: cooling is okay on 12v, but not as strong as when using propane, and you need to make sure that the cooling cycle isn't interrupted periodically. I believe that most Westies are setup with a simple relay system that cuts power to the fridge when the engine is stopped. The heater element is a simple resistor & is easily tested. Disconnect the two leads going to the heater element and use a multimeter to measure the resistance. Find the amperage rating for your model(ex.- 9.8A @ 12.4v) and calculate the theoretical resistance: ex.- Resistance = Voltage/Amperage = 12.4v/9.8A = 1.265 ohms. The calculated and measured resistances should be about the same. Clean the connections to the heater element; copper oxidizes over 30 years and can hinder the flow of current through the connections. Before reconnecting the heater element, measure the resistance between the ground connection & ground and the positive connection and the positive battery terminal(engine may have to be running for this...don't let the terminal touch anything grounded). Both of those resistances should be pretty darn close to 0; if not, found out why. If you have a suitable ammeter, you could measure the current flow through the heating element, but I think most of these fridges draw around 10 amps, which is typically the limit on most cheapie multimeters & may damage it.

That's about it. The potential problems boil down to: Poor ground connection Poor battery connection Faulty heating element(resistance too high/low) improper use(periodically interrupting the ammonia cycle)

-- Brett in Portland, OR "Albert" '82 VanaFox I4 Riviera