Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:25:23 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: They said it couldn't be done....( I'm East bound and down )
Comments: To: Karl <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

'Silly' ..lol.

I'm using a propane on demand heater for an off-grid show currently. Tends to be either too hot or two cold... if I had cold it slows the flow in the on-demand heater and it shuts down .. then it gets too cold, until I turn the cold off to make it fire up again.

besides this one I got a used Bosch on demand propane heater .. gotta try that one out one of these days.

there sure is a lot of energy-density in fossil\ fuels .

I cam currently getting all my electricity and water ( free ) from the sky. What scam ! ..cheatin' The Man out of their cut on my comfort. lol.

thermal storage unit .. lots has been done in that arena. for example ...cars that retain heat from a previous drive cycle for instant catalytic converter light off. ( Saab I believe, though not in production ) That gets us into storing house heating heat in a liquid ... the possibilities are endless, as an energy storage system. as for instulation ....I suspect vacuum offers the most ...'vacuum' has no weight either, conveniently.

this is about vanagons of course ! systems for them. I did always want to make a hot water heater that took heat from the heater circuit.. like on trips and longer periods of running ... wouldn't be too hard to have a faucet with hot water.. or a shower. Could be made compact enough to not take up a lot of space, or be overly complex.

On 8/28/2014 7:12 PM, Karl wrote: > Of course, in a Westy, silly! Plenty of more 'normal' choices for a > home. This was an attempt at on-demand hot water, not some contraption > that involves starting the engine and warming it up just for a couple > minutes hot water. Best place to make hot water is right near the tap - > otherwise it will waste a lot of that 50 or less liter capacity. The > glow plug heaters will work, just require a storage container to recycle > through, one that retains heat long-term. Got that part, just no more > time to play with the design of it yet. > > > On 8/29/2014 12:59 AM, SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) wrote: >> good to know Karl. >> 'house water heater' ..? >> as in a land house ... >> or as in 'onboard Westy' water heater ? >> >> if the later ..then I'd think to use either the regular heater >> circuit .. >> or .. >> you know that EGR cooler Heat Exchange on like an AHU tdi ... >> I'm saving one of those ..sure looks like a super way to use exhaust >> heat to heat up a liquid flowing through it. >