Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2014 11:49:37 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Travel Weirdness (warning; tires. ;)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I'll agree with that too .. for welding on the rig....disconnect all batteries and ecu plugs.

Don't know if the rig was running fine on the trip before swapping out the ecu ... but if it was.. I sorta have this rule when on a trip ...don't work on stuff unless there is a problem .. an example..I once swapped out an igniter on an 84 vanagon ....just to see if my other one would work differently or better...about 50 miles from home.

took me a while to find it ..but just unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one caused 'the white wire' ..the one that tells the ecu the distributor is making igniton pulses got pushed back in the connector plug , hidden from view .. so I was dead right there , until I could put an hour or two into it. And it was running fine before I did that simple unneeded test.

similarly ...it is actually illegal to do any troubleshooting in flight in an aircraft for this very reason. Dealing with something critical ..sure , like in an emergency .. but just 'I think I'll try this just to see what happens' ...illegal in flight in an aircraft and has killed people. .

the further from home ..the stronger the rule. If I do need to do work an a big trip ...I at least do it by a parts store as that increased the chances of being able to get something if I need 'whatever.'

it's all good.

On 9/5/2014 11:23 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > I run those Nokians year round...and sometimes they will pick up a rock in > the tread, but it doesn't bother the tire or me...they come out eventually > I guess. > > I've always been told to unplug my ECU whenever anyone welds on a German > car...I do ... > > > On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Chris S. <szpejankowski@gmail.com> wrote: > >> You can also use electrical connection enhancer/protector on all grounds. >> It will keep oxidation at bay while improving current flow. See local >> hardware store's electrical section. >> >> Chris. >> >> Wysłane z iPhone'a >> >> Dnia Sep 5, 2014 o godz. 15:20 Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET> >> napisał(a): >> >>> Try Detoxit on the cable connector and ground. Also some have reported >> improvement by adding a extra ground from the AFM to chassis. >>> ----- Original Message ----- >>> >>> From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@Q.COM> >>> To: "List, Vanagon" <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >>> Sent: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:49:44 AM >>> Subject: Re: Travel Weirdness (warning; tires. ;) >>> >>> Check to make sure your ECU is fully plugged in and double check its >> ground wire for continuity. Use contact grease. >>> Karl Wolz >>> Sent from my electronic umbilicus >>> >>>> On Sep 5, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>>> >>>> Is this kind of thing uncommon?