Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Sep 2014 15:12:24 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Awesome Vanagon Facebook Group
Comments: To: Ben <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

I also prefer email based lists because I can respond on my schedule. But facebook has its pluses and I have a facebook page myself. https://www.facebook.com/tom.hargrave.90

I just joined the vanagon page then I found a type 2 page that I also joined. It never ends......

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com http://goo.gl/niRzVw

Facebook isn't for everybody. However, it is an alternative that many find useful.

Initially, approving membership requests could be done by anyone in the group. That resulted in a number of spammers getting in. Now, even member add requests must go through admin. They then screen all applicants before adding to the group. Many applicants have various areas of their profiles blocked from public view. Some completely block anything beyond their name. During screening, if the admin doesn't see anything Vanagon/VW related, the applicant is sent a challenge. Those who do not respond are 'ignored' (FB equivalent of deleting the application). This helps eliminate 4-5 potential spammers per day.

If you prefer an email based forum like the Vanagon List, then by all means stay on it. Although I'm in various forums, I like the List. In fact you will find me trying to direct people to join this group and promoting it's reputation, whenever the opportunity arises.

BTW, the FB grew by 14 members since this thread was posted. Participation is strictly voluntary. You don't have to leave the List to join other forums. Clearly some Listmembers are making a choice.

;-)

Regards,