Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Sep 2014 12:59:26 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flickering Oil Light at Idle
Comments: To: Ryan Perry <rjdperry@GMAIL.COM>

it's a somewhat common misunderstanding that shimming or making the OP relief valve piston Spring will raise oil pressure. Sure ..it will raise the upper limit of Cold oil pressure.

it won't do a thing for hot idle oil pressure.

if it's not your OP sender coming on 'early' ... it's bearing clearances are worn and large.

other than really restoring the bottom end to back where it belongs oil clearance wise.. thicker oil is your main option.

they can run that way for years , not that I recommend it. I own one 1.9 wbxr block that, once warm, oil light comes on any time rpm's are below 1,500. But it runs great and goes 70 mph no problem.

most people don't bother with 1.9 wbxr's anymore.. but if someone wants a block or long block for rebuilding, I have about 6 of those located in So. Oregon. Don't want much for one either ( or all 6 , lol ).

Scott On 9/4/2014 10:08 AM, Ryan Perry wrote: > Hey Listers- > '84 WBX Manual with 190K original engine > > Van for the most part runs well, bit of a loping idle and off idle bog but > runs decent at revs. Certainly not the strongest but it gets me to the > campground an hour away and back without issue. > > Lately when I am coming off of highway and down to idle the oil light > starts to flicker. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I have noticed that it > is getting worse, used to only happen when on highway for an hour or so and > running fast, now it seems to happen after maybe 15min no matter what speed > I drive. If I am just driving around town it never happens, no problems > whatsoever. > > I have been running Castrol 20-50 synth with Napa Gold Filter but just > changed to Castrol 30 dino with a bosch filter. No change, in fact I > believe it has gotten worse. Oil level is just at or below half where I > have always kept it. > > So I am wondering what might be some good next steps? > Anything quick and easy that can be checked? > Was considering getting a Van Cafe oil pressure gauge kit but they are all > out. > How about the pressure relief spring? > Maybe go to a higher oil weight? > > I live in Asheville, NC and temps are right at 80-85 and lows around 60. > > thanks ya'll for any help you may have!! > ryan > > > > Ryan Perry > 84 Westie "Artie McParty" >