Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2014 06:03:35 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sudden clutch nothing...while parked
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Good advice. As I mentioned in a previous post, I hadn't actually checked my brake fluid reservoir level recently, so I am unsure of the rate of fluid level loss... I re-stocked last evening with more brake fluid after I bled the clutch slave so now I can actually do a leak-check with my pressure bleeder on the reservoir. I was somewhat constrained yesterday what with not being able to back the clutchless van safely into my shop (with a concrete floor to jack it up). I also found my back-up brake fluid bottle was only partly full.. Summer is too much fun...I really should make more time for Van-chores, but it's been so reliable lately that I've gotten a bit casual about things...

I have not encountered a sudden and complete clutch loss this way before...usually you get a little gear grinding and/or some difficulty with the gear selection, maybe some creeping forward or some sort of indication the clutch isn't disengaging completely...Maybe a little diminishing of clutch pedal feel, or something....This was a total surprise... Parked it with a normal clutch....restarted it 2 days later, with NO clutch...

Another subject: A few weeks ago I queried the list on O2 sensor replacement, having encountered problems with the 3-wire sensor in my 92 Digifant Jetta motor. I replaced that with a single wire Bosch sensor. I've run about 6 tanks of fuel through now (2000mi. +/-) My gas mileage has been right at 23-24mpg again, driving at 65-70mph on the highway with my normal mix at about 80% highway/20% town driving. So 18 mpg with no O2 sensor and 24 with the inexpensive single wire Bosch one...