Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Sep 2014 17:11:27 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Flickering Oil Light at Idle

On 9/6/2014 1:58 PM, Michael Magnani wrote: > Hey Dean, > I really like your gauge installation and would like do something similar. > How is the triple gauge pod attached to the factory instrument cover? > Does the gauge pod readily adapt to the curve of the instrument cover? > Did you use a quick-disconnect type plug to allow for ease of maintenance? > What's the rectangular electronic device mounted under the tach &speedo? > Would you mind posting some more detail pictures? > As I said, I Really like your set up. > Mike M > > Sent from my iPad > >> Here is a photo of my old school 3 gauge pod I put on top of my dash >> cover some 8-10 years ago. I actually have 5 gauge readings out of >> the 3 in the pod, as the toggle switches flip from two different >> sensors each. The pressure gauge on the left reads oil pressure on >> one side of the switch and fuel pressure on the other. The Vacuum >> gauge just reads vacuum, but the temp gauge reads both water and oil >> temps with a flip of the right side toggle switch. The oil temp >> sender is in the space where the van normally gets its oil poured in >> ala Ken Lewis' system and the water temp bung was welded to the big >> black pipe by the 3/4 cylinder(will be moving it as the temps there >> are reading rather low). The OP sender has aan AN4 ss braided >> Aeroquip hose that runs up from the space under the 3/4 pushrods and >> the buzzer/factory system I have more or less disabled. My old 79 >> 'loaf had an oil pressure switch from a GM Vega installed with the 3 >> prong connector where if you're oil pressure ever dropped below >> 10PSI, it killed juice to the coil. Miight revert back to that on >> the Vanagon at some point. The Vega switch is subtantially longer >> that the factory one, but there's prolly a way to fit it and the t >> for the VDO pressure sender under there If I get motivated to do that >> down the road. As far as wiring, no quick disconnect...all I did was >> allow enough wire so I could access the top for brake fluid etc. and >> use a longer rubber hose for the vacuum gauge. BTW, I'd much rather >> have vacuum data than how many volts the system has. In addition to >> helping with gas mileage, it can help diagnose engine and vacuum leak >> issues. I used 1/8" soft copper tubing initilally from back to >> front, but someone on the list thought that was a lot of vacuum to >> use fro mthe engine and recommended that I run smaller hose, so I >> went to a smaller plastic line and made adapters on both ends after >> simply fishing the black plastic tubing right through the existing >> copper tubing, effectively giving it some extra protection. The >> plumbing runs under the van, not inside the cabin. YMMV

URL to dropbox photo is

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Dropbox/100_2343.JPG

DM&FS