Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:36:38 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel system "vapour lock"

Hi all.

So I swapped in a Jetta charcoal canisters and checked further on the EVAP system. Interesting to see that the '93-94 Jetta canister exterior is identical to the Vanagon canister.

While checking the EVAP system, I procured a cute young helper from the rental house at my garage and got her to listen to my bus while I blew air into the small hose that connects to top of charcoal canister.

She heard the hissing sound i'd heard while blowing on this hose and said the sound was coming from the gas tank area.

I removed the gas cap and blew again. It "felt" the same and made the same hissing sound (leak somewhere)

With gas cap off, when blowing on this hose, the air should move easily right? Or am I forcing the roll over valves partly shut?

On 8/12/14, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the EVAP charcoal canister is plugged (saturated?), or the vent hose at > canister is plugged, can this cause the EVAP system to create a vacuum in > the fuel system? Or, is there another potential cause?

> > On a hot day, after climbing a steep grade in 2nd gear to a high altitude > on a long forest service road, I pulled over, left van idling. Over about > 5 seconds the idle dropped, got uneven, engine stalled. It wouldn't > restart. > > Removed fuel tank cap, heard a sucking noise at filler tube. The tank had > obviously built up a vacuum.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej