Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:46:57 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: seam rust
Comments: To: Brett Ne <brettn777@GMAIL.COM>

Fluid film when sprayed on the inside panels tends to creep into cracks. This is a good thing but it can mean it actually creeps out the seams to the exterior of the van. Then it collects road dust. It wipes right off, no problem there.

I like that property of the he stuff, it makes me believe that the lanolin ( what fluid film mostly is) is coating all the hidden steel and rusty bits. Fluid film is pretty good at arresting rust, but it does get washed off with road spray. But in body cavities it sticks around.

Last week I sprayed the entire underbody with FF. Inside frame rails and all the nooks and crannies. I buy the stuff in 1 gallon containers and use a cheap undercoating gun and compressor to apply it. I do this once a year, while weather still warm and dry so the FF has lower viscosity and will do its creeping better.

Alistair