Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:47:16 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Finally Got to Use it...

Since removing the rear AC unit in my 90 GL some years ago, I chose to install a 4 or 5' long piece of 1" square aluminum tubing to mount on top of the exposed metal brackets left up there. I was thinking that it would be helpful in pulling my lazy hiney up from a good night's sleep on the Z bed, but rarely used it for that. Then I thought it would make a great clothesline for drying out funky paddling gear after a long day on the river. Did that maybe three times. Then last week the real brainstorm kicked in. I had the Vanagon loaded to the gills with flea market tables and such and needed to access the engine compartment to add some oil(no license plate access for this Vanagon) and didn't wanna unload all that crap for the oil fill. Slid a 5' long oak 1x4" under the base layer of plywood and on top of the rear mattress and then slid cam straps under the ends of the 1x4 and looped them up over the aluminum bar as close to the steel anchors as possible. Pulled hard on the cam straps and got the whole mess up high enough to wiggle the mattress out and then raise the load even higher. that allowed me to get the hatch open and fill the crankcase with oil and then do the reverse order and got back to normal. I think i otok a photo of it in action somewhere on dropbox......being lazy sometimes is more like being ingenious.

DM&FS