Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:36:54 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New brakes and pedal question
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

As other have noted, the new calipers may have a larger bore which requires more volume and thus more pedal travel. However, the larger bore means more clamping force for a given pressure so while the pedal may travel further you will get more braking force for a given pedal pressure. This will be further enhanced by the larger rotor diameter and the larger brake pad surface. With disc brakes there should almost no piston travel so you should not really sense this difference? Also, thick pads will compress more than old worn thin ones. The pads also need to seat and bead to the rotors before maximum brake action is obtained.

If getting a lot of pedal travel you need to check the rear brakes and maybe bleed the system better. It is also possible that you have a bad master cylinder. There is a rear brake proportioning valve (right side frame near fuel tank) that partly responds to van tilt. They do go bad and a soft pedal can be the result. Testing with a brake pressure test gauge is in order.

Dennis