Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:00:49 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Replaced the axle seal

On my 5sp manual tranny that runs my inline VW powered 84 tin top... The left side axle/CV boot has been leaking, dripping, for quite a while, I could smell hot oil when I shut off the van and the underside is quite messy with months of Swepco all over,,,One good thing about having that Swepco in the tranny is that it is a distinctive blue color and so I had no problem knowing what was leaking... About three weeks ago I topped off the trans with a normal gear oil (worried that I might be running too low on gear oil)...forget what brand but it was significantly lower viscosity than the Swepco. It took about a quart... and the leak became worse...I was hoping to defer all my work till the winter season change around here but I had all the parts and some time, so I went for the axle shaft seal...using some great write-ups from the various forums we all know.. I did the complete job on one side without any special tools at all, no problems. It was pretty easy, actually, though I got major oily.

There was a pool of gear oil under my hanging CV, draining out from the boot and the CV joint.... At this time, rather than doing a complete maintenance on the axles and CVs I decided to do that come our first snow or sleet or freezing rain day.. I did not have any dedicated CV grease around but I do have some StaLube high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease, so I packed the CV with that as it hung there...Should be ok for a month or so, or did I really do something bad here? The can says this grease is for high temperature high load bearings and that it has moly----dysulfide, like the CV grease does...Smells and feels like that CV stuff...anyhow it is probably better than gear oil was, smiley face...

So when the weather turns I'll be draining and refilling the tranny with all Swepco again and doing the CVs up properly, both sides. I want to make certain my leak is fixed before I change the oil there because the Swepco cost about $65 bucks to fill the tranny...

Don Hanson