Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:47:12 -0600
From:         Jon VonOhlsen <jondvo@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU: burned parts. PICS (Jetta Engine in Vanagon)
Comments: To: Roy Nicholl <RNicholl@NBNET.NB.CA>

Couple of Digifant schematics, not complete internally, but may help. Might try ecudoctors.com.... Jon

On 9/14/2014 4:09 AM, Roy Nicholl wrote: > If they were adhering to IEEE 200-1975 (in effect at the time), BT would be battery and there would be no ambiguous 'B's > > 'B' can also be used for a 'blower' (or 'motor'), but that is also unlikely in this instance. Is the schematic for the ECU available someplace? > > Given that ECUs are endangered, does the list knowledge know if anyone has attempted to transfer the functionality into software - which could be run on a rather inexpensive embedded system? Obviously such a solution would be costly as there would be insufficient demand to scale, but it would make it possible to add an OBD interface to the Vanagon :-O. ... of course, it would probably be more effective to simply add a Subaru flat-four with its proven computer control system. > > > On 14-Sep-2014, at 05:45, Raymond Markett wrote: > >> Wow! It looks like reversed polarity or a short caused a high current and burned the components. R usually stands for resistor, D for diode and C for capacitor. B usually stands for battery but that doesn't make sense in this case. I would guess that B202 is a inductor or coil. L usually stands for coil on U. S. schematics, but maybe VW uses B for the B field associated with a coil. >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >>> On Sep 13, 2014, at 9:40 PM, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >>> >>> Hi all. >>> >>> As promised, the gory details. Images of my partially fried ECU: >>> >>> https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/Motronic29ECUBurnedPartsEngineStillRan >>> >>> Can anyone take a guess at what this part is, or was? ;) >>> >>> B202 shown here: http://tinyurl.com/qxeceae >>> >>> My close up shots are usually better. Sorry for poor quality images. I >>> generally don't use my good camera while in the shop. >>> >>> Neil. >>> >>> -- >>> Neil n >>> >>> Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca >>> >>> '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p >>> >>> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >>> >>> Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: >>> >>> http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej