Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:03:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Pump: wear at case
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Good fun learning about the WBX. I'd almost be tempted to do a rebuild on one just for the knowledge. (and for taking pictures. ;)

Neil.

It IS fun going inside an engine if you're doing it as a hobby. In the past I've had a lot of motors apart, but I rarely have the luxury of doing them just for fun.

I did get to do my current hybrid ABA/1.8 liter Jetta motor, the one that's in my van now, as an "elective" project...I had another vehicle to use at the time and a semi-warm shop with no pressing time-frame to get it running again.... and I found the ABA motor at a reasonable cost ($300). I did the project for fun and to learn. Underlying the ABA bottom-end project, however, there was the expectation (gained from the research I'd done beforehand) that I'd hopefully end up with a better motor, one that would be worth the minor money I DID spend for gaskets, bearings and belts...

People would probably give you their old WBX motors to mess with. If you had two or three, you might be able to combine them all and make a good one without spending a bundle...but if you were to do a proper conventional rebuild, looking to have a 'dependable' one at the end of your project, wouldn't you need to spend quite a bit of cash for parts? From my reading on the list here, I've come to understand it's pretty expensive to properly rebuild a WBX motor, which is why people often do a conversion to something else.

Still, hanging one on an engine stand in front of the woodstove and messing with it during the winter, that might be kinda fun...But so would doing a Subaru or a Fiesta or a TDI or a 1.8 turbo, and in the end you would have a fresh motor that some would consider a more useful motor for a Vanagon. Happy Friday everyone.