Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:07:01 -0500
From:         David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: difference's between model years
Comments: To: dhigginbotham@HAZENANDSAWYER.COM

I had a couple of the early WBX Westies and liked them a lot. I enjoyed the larger side door and the first fridge I had is still the coldest (original) one I have ever had. The pop tops on both of them worked better than my current vehicle, although I'm not sure why. The headlights were far better than the later models, so much so that I transplanted the grille and buckets and installed H4's into my later vehicle. That being said, I now own an '87 with A/C (that works) and power steering that my wife (all 5' 4" of her) loves. The captain chairs with armrests saved my arms on cross country journeys and, IMHO, are more comfortable. I don't like the interior light not being over the stove, but my current light is not warped from heat. As far as powerplants, I switched to a Tiico on my second Vanagon, 'cause I got sick of replacing head gaskets, and am now running a Golf Gen, 5 inline from FAS in the "87. There are many other differences that others will point out, and a chart that details them, but bottom line is like what you got. If not, then, if able, change it. Had I not run into rust run wild on my first one and broken/breaking expensive parts (and a desire by my wife for the aforementioned creature comforts), I would still be driving my original 84.5. And although I loved my split window busses (one a Westy), I don't think I would go back to 'em.

Dave B.