Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 2014 15:18:01 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: drive from Oklahoma to Spokane, WA
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I'm currently on the road so my answers will be a bit quick. I'll try the list approach for clarity. You radiator fan should three available speeds. The low and mid speeds rely on that resistor located behind the driver's side headlamp assembly. Note this resistor has three wire connections, it is two on one piece. One side is a common going to the motor. The other two connections are fed from different sources.

Fan speed 1, the lowest operates from either the radiator switch or the AC compressor clutch relay. Note that this switch or relay is actually carrying the current for the fan motor being limited by the resistor. If the resistor fails do not try to bypass it. These components and some wiring or fuses will fail quickly.

Fan Speed 2, medium, is operated when the AC system reaches some higher than normal pressure on the high side of the system, usually about 275 psi. The will often occur at low speeds or traffic especially if a lot of radiator heat soaks into the condenser. Those that have converted to R-134a or overcharge the AC systems will use this speed a lot. A relay on the fuse panel is operated by the AC high pressure or trinary switch. This speed uses the other side of that fan resistor. The resistors in parallel allow more current so the fan runs slightly but noticeably faster.

Fan Speed 3 is the last resort. The radiator fan switch and on some another AC pressure switch operates that big relay located above the fuse box. This relay gets its own feed from the battery and they use a big fusible link. This is a last ditch effort to get things under control. On some this speed even cuts out the AC.

For testing, if you don’t observe the lower speeds di a quick test by disconnecting the plug on the radiator switch. Using a jumper you can operate speeds 1 and 3. One end is the common. Common and middle is low speed, both ends are high speed. For testing speed 2 you need to get to the high pressure switch and jump it or get the AC into a high pressure mode. With the AC on high let the engine idle until some of that heat is getting sucked into the evaporator making for a lot of heat load. Then rev the engine slightly and the fan should speed up if it hasn't just idling. Having a gauge set connected will tell you where you are pressure wise.

If low speed is not working with both the AC or the fan swich suspect the resistor. If low speed works with one but not the other you need to do some electrical trouble shooting.

Hope this helps,

Dennis