Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 2014 01:32:33 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: drive from Oklahoma to Spokane, WA
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

The 84 has a much smaller fan motor than 87 and later with AC.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Rocket J Squirrel<mailto:camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎10/‎5/‎2014 10:58 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: drive from Oklahoma to Spokane, WA

The fan emits quite a roar when it switches on in my '84. Going up long, hot, slow grades it's quite easy to hear.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 10/05/2014 07:44 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > Hmmm .... . I guess I may be deficient in knowledge of the radiator fan. How do I determine for sure what fan speed is operating? I thought when I heard it like I did this time, it was the high speed. Maybe I'm wrong. mcneely > > ---- James <jk_eaton@hotmail.com> wrote: >> Dave, are you sure that it's the high speed of the radiator fan that comes on when the temperature gauge needle is at the upper edge of the LED? Because that says that the low speed of the radiator fan was already running, and that shouldn't be, if the temperature gauge needle is at the LED. >> >> The slow speed of the radiator fan in a '91 is really loud and noticeable - but the middle speed (for AC) is louder yet, and the high speed is really like a small idling jet engine. Could it have been only the low speed you heard on those grades? >> >> The only time I've ever heard the radiator fan come on in our '91 on the highway was climbing Crawford Notch in NH this past August - it's an automatic, and we were down to 35 mph in second gear at 4000 rpm, and the fan came on for the last minute or so of the climb - but the temperature gauge needle was clearly above the LED, (in roughly the same position it reaches inis in stop and go traffic in the city in the summer heat, the other occasion when I hear the radiator fan running). >> >> James >> Ottawa, ON >> '91 Westfalia Weekender >> >>> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:40:52 -0500 >>> From: mcneely4@COX.NET >>> Subject: Re: drive from Oklahoma to Spokane, WA >>> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>> >>> >>> The radiator was replaced four years (40k miles) ago with a new radiator. The coolant pump was replaced five years (50k miles) ago. The temperature indicator almost always sets dead on the led after the vehicle warms up, but occasionally in traffic in town with a lot of stop and go will rise to set on the upper edge of the led, and on those occasions, the high speed radiator fan usually comes on. On the trip, the only time that happened was climbing the pass. >>> >>> mcneely >>> >>> >>> >> >> > > -- > David McNeely >