Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Oct 2014 12:36:03 -0400
From:         Ryan Perry <rjdperry@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Throttle Body, Plenum and Intake Runners - Looking for Advice

So I am tackling the job of pulling the TB, Plenum and Runners today to for diagnostics, maintenance and vanity (respectively) and had a few questions or looking for suggestions on an '84

*I know this is long, and a lot of questions...so don't feel like you need to answer all or any, great direct advice from this brain trust so share what you like or experience :)*

1. *After getting the runners, plenum, TB and s-boot off I can see this being a pain to get back on*. I have heard Left to Right. Start with Plenum, etc, etc...seems all over the place. Any suggestions or favorite links? 2. *There are plastic pads (gaskets) at the bottom of the air runners, are these reusable?* 3. *I would like to clean the top of the engine while I have everything off.* How do you guys cover the holes there while you are cleaning? I am thinking some degreaser and a wire brush but scared of getting crud in the holes (don't know the formal name?) Suggestions on covering so they are watertight? 4. *I want to paint plenum and runners*. Any suggestions on paint or process? 5. *TB is out and want RnR..any best practices there?* it seems to be fairly air tight (no gaping holes I can see) Think I can spray the inside down with PB or something? Want to do the Plenum and Runners as well. 6. * Looking for a vacuum line plastic "T" that comes off the right side of the plenum.* It has a large connector and a small connector. Broke mine redoing the vacuum lines a couple weeks ago. Its kluged together but can't hold for long and I can't seem to find it online. Any one know if this part is available and where? 7. *What do you guys use for clamps on the intake runner connectors? *The ones on my van are crimped but not sure if that is still the best way to go, they didn't come with my replacements from online vendor. They are the stock replacement...sort of meshed cloth.

Thanks as always for your collective wisdom!

Ryan Perry Asheville, NC Artie McPartie '84