Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:22:30 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Two iffy vanagon improvements that worked out very well

In the past, I tried two different "fixes" to common vanagon problems and I thought i would wait to see how they turned out before commenting on them. It's been several years that both have been in service, so here goes:

Modifying visor clips to allow the use of late model visors in early vanagons. I would think that about 100 percent of early vanagons now have shabby bags of foam crumbles instead of nice functional visors. All I have seen have been that way. I had a bunch of late model visors but because of the way they mounted, you couldn't use them in an early 80s model because there was not enough distance between the retaining slot and the roof of the car where the retaining post (the part that the visor swings into and clips) was too short. The solution was to make posts that allowed the thicker molded visors to fit. I used a model saw to cut the top off of one mount and the bottom off of another insect a way that the result was a taller mount. I was afraid that given the heat and the leverage it might give up and split, but both are working well after a couple of years.

The other thing that surprised me is the quality of the conductive fluid pen you gat at places like Radio Shack to repair printed circuit board paths. I used this to extend the worn-off copper around the final end of the instrument foil in my 83, and it has held up under repeated removal and replacement of the long connector. Between troubleshooting, brake lights, master cylinder, turbo instrument wiring and so forth the thing has been snapped in and out at least a dozen times since the repair and it functions perfectly so far.

Jim