Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2014 16:58:42 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vacuum System Parts on 1.9 - "Y's" and Constrictors...
Comments: To: Ryan Perry <rjdperry@GMAIL.COM>

At 08:17 AM 10/16/2014, Ryan Perry wrote: > - "Y" from the line off the passenger side of the Plenum on the smaller > 3.5 branch that goes to the Charcoal canister = 1.4mm or roughly a 1/16 > drill bit.

This one I'm sure matters, as it controls the flow rate through the canister (and the amount of unmetered air, aka vacuum leak, into the manifold), and a #54 drill bit would be just right, or a 1.4 mm bit. 1/16" would be almost 30% more hole area, so definitely a non-preferred alternative. If you do that, make it fairly thick; I'm guessing that a half inch thick might make an appreciable difference on a hole this size, but it's strictly a guess. Maybe

>I haven't contacted my local VW dealer but they are usually pretty arrogant >when it comes to anything built prior to 2K and all my online research >leads to NLA. >Thoughts on should I or ways to do this? David you mentioned a greased wire >with JB weld...that sounds doable.

Your life here will be easier if you get a 10x loupe and a set of dial or digital calipers (or "old-fashioned" vernier calipers if you have good eyes) that read thousandths (beware, some of the cheap ones read hundredths) of an inch. Price for the calipers from under ten bucks on sale at Harbor Freight to well over $100 for name brands like Brown & Sharpe or Mitutoyo. The digitals are nice but you have to replace the LR44 battery periodically even if they're not used, unless you remove it. Or a 0-1" micrometer which is less versatile but more repeatable, also a large price range. Some micrometers have a vernier scale that lets you read ten-thousandths, well beyond what you need for this.

The orifice plate has to be fairly thin, or resistance will be too high. Someone with a lot more theory than I have could compute a larger hole in a thicker plate to work equivalently, but

You can get ten used #97/.006 carbide circuit board drills with 1/8" shank for ten bucks http://drillbitsunlimited.com/006-97-015mm-Solid-Carbide-Drill-Bits-P2372675.aspx -- but carbide bits are extremely brittle and it's very unlikely that you could use them successfully without a drill press. If you have a drill press and can secure work to the table, these should work great in steel or JB Weld. They might be grabby in brass. If you ended up having me make you one I'd machine it from brass, aluminum or steel and use these drills to pierce the orifice. With steel drills you could use a pin vise or a hand-held Dremel with a miniature chuck; but I don't think steel drills are readily available in size smaller than #80, which is .013 (and cheap steel drill bits this small are pretty horrifying under the microscope, kind of a stretch to call them drills. I presume ones costing $5 each are better).

36 AWG bare wire is .005" diameter; I'm guessing that with a light coating of oil that might be just right. 34 AWG is .006. Enamelled wire will be oversize. For good handling steel music wire would be ideal and is available in .006" -- going price seems around $100-150 a pound! These folks sell cut lengths by special order: http://www.hanessupply.com/itemdetail1.aspx?CategoryText1=Janitorial+and+MRO+Supplies&CategoryText2=Wires&CategoryText3=Music+Wires . I would mold the epoxy to some reasonable thickness, and then after it's cured drill into it with a 1/16" or whatever bit to get the actual orifice plate down to thinner than 1/16". You'd then use the music wire from the other side to re-open the hole. You might be able to do that while molding by embedding a greased rod; that would work better with soft copper wire than music wire unless you made a right-angle bend in the end of the music wire ahead of time. If molding directly into a plastic tee, I'd use a greased rod fitting the tee to control the overall thickness.

Another way, much easier if it works, would be to use a small sewing needle to barely pierce a piece of brass shim stock so your 34-ga wire would pass through but a 32-ga wouldn't. It might take ten tries to get it right but very little investment for each try.

You could fabricate a square orifice of the same cross section by slicing up a .005 (.0053 would be exact) leaf from a feeler gauge -- long piece on the bottom, two short pieces glued down with a third piece to space them, then another long piece glued on top after removing the spacer. Exercise for the reader how to couple to it; and probably a lot of trouble making it short enough.

Overall my first suggestion would be make a proper one from metal on a lathe or by using a drill press and vise; second to try piercing thin (.010?) brass with a fine sewing needle mounted onto the end of a screw so you can control how deep you pierce. You could then cut this out and embed it in a JB Weld plug.

Yours, David