Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:34:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird "idle" problem
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

The symptoms you describe may be a sign your basic settings are just a tad off. With the switch working as you come down to idle you are momentarily going into fuel cut off and then when fuel is back on the O2 sensor is ignored and a slightly over rich mixture and/or over advanced timing is giving you the slightly high idle until the mixture leans out again. With the switch disconnected there is no fuel cut off and thus no O2 sensor bypass. Also, if the idle is staying near 900 RPM the controller is not fully in control. 750-850 is the spec although I do like to set it at the high side. Note that on the 1.9 the fuel cut off goes as early as 1,100 rpm and this scenario is what causes those engines to go into the idle surge or hunt mode.

Dennis