Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:31:29 -0700
From:         Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Coil boil
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@gmail.com>

Bruce,

On the colour change of the coil, early or late? Black painted steel or Aluminum covers (Alistair's wonderful Heat-Sink Aluminum photo excepted).. The black coil was specific/specified for the 2.1 litre Vangaon.

I recall a post on Samba or perhaps BusBoy's web site that stated: the Vanagon coil was black, not the green one. A Sky-Blue coil? (personally, I like sky blue) but, have not seen one on a 2.1l Vanagon.

As alluded to in a previous post, the dwell is not mechanically adjustable on the 2.1 engine management system. The 'spark' timing/dwell' is controlled from the ECU. Advanced/Retarded as needed (by the ECU). Requires the appropriate/specified coil. The archives has more info on this problem.

The 30 to 50 mph reports? Yeh, I remember with longing and loathing… I was younger then and had a running Vanagon.

Pz '87 Vanagon in windows-out resto with Zetec…. gasp! Now, under my rock off the West Coast as a wind/rain warning has been issued. Weather slows my restoration…:-( -----------