Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:59:48 -0500
From:         walkingboss <walkingboss@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Squealing brakes! Where to find missing shims?
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

If all else fails in finding the anti-squeak shims, any good FLAPS, will have a anti-squeak lube. It is a high heat silicone coating that you apply to the back of the pads and contact points on the pad holder.

Howard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Caron" <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:39 PM Subject: [VANAGON] Squealing brakes! Where to find missing shims?

Hi folks,

My breaks were done by a local independent shop. they mean well but I've found many small problems in the past with work done.

My front breaks were done about 2,000 miles ago. about 700 miles ago they started to squeal a little. Now they squeal a lot! It is to the point that it is uncomfortable to be in the van. The breaks however seem to be working fine.

Folks at Transporter Fest recommended that I purchase the front break shims that go between the pads and calipers. They suspect the old ones were tossed out with the old pads.

I've called a few venders and no one has them available. Anyone know where I can get them?

These breaks are so loud my main van driver, girlfriend Heidi, is avoiding the van! Not a good situation.

Help is appreciated!

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia