Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:25:39 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: RnR - Air and Vacuum/Coolant - Van Runs Terrible
Comments: To: Ryan Perry <rjdperry@gmail.com>

You set the 1.9 timing with the idle stabilizer box disconnected and the connectors plugged together, otherwise the notch will jump around. Then turn the distributor to the 5 degree retarded notch at 900 rpm. Making a mark on the pulley 2” clockwise from the U notch is an approximate 35 degrees advanced mark, which the notch should hit at 3500 rpm with proper vacuum controls and the stabilizer plugged in.

Stuart

From: Ryan Perry [mailto:rjdperry@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:56 PM To: Stuart MacMillan Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: RE: RnR - Air and Vacuum/Coolant - Van Runs Terrible

I like that idea , and thought it felt that way possibly. I did redo vacuum after finding rip in s-boot which the van was timed to so maybe the increase in vacuum threw it off?.

So was going to try the tencentlife method... Never done this but seems easy enough. Right? I seem to always say that right before I muck something up! I do not understand the theory here but can follow directions. This would be fine with Digital idle sensor bypassed right? Did this process look correct and complete?

<http://images.thesamba.com/vw/forum/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif> Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:39 am Post subject: <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/forum/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif> With a 1.9, the marks on the pulley will be reversed: the U-notch is still TDC, but the V-notch for timing is to its left, for 5 deg. retarded. Doesn't matter as far as total advance measurement goes, you still start with the U-notch and make a mark 2" clockwise from there for your 35deg. advanced mark.

On the 1.9, to be safe, it's better to rev it to 3500 to be sure the advance is all in. You do this with everything connected as normal. Make the mark, get the engine completely warmed up, hook up the strobe, rev to 3500 and point the strobe at the pulley. If the mark falls to the right of the case centerline, it is not advanced enough so you move the diz a little counterclockwise to add advance, and vice versa.

Thanks y'all! Ryan Asheville, NC