Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:02:46 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Single wire Oxygen sensor: Substitution report..
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

The sensor does need a return path and it is done through the exhaust and engine. There has to be a complete circuit. The ECU sensor input can also be tested with a battery. Ground the input and the engine should go rich, connect the battery positive terminal to the lead and ground the negative and the engine should go lean.

Dennis

The 02 sensor does not need to be grounded, but the ECU reading it does. The millivolt current is generated chemically between two internal electrodes, only one of which is connected to the ECU (the electrode the electrons have left for the other one, creating a + voltage), and the ECU measures that voltage to its internal ground. Note that the heater has two wires, ground and hot, it's the only part of the sensor that does need grounding, and it's not done through the exhaust for the reasons you mentioned. The heater wires are shielded to prevent inducing a current in the signal wire.

I've installed single wire sensors on my MGBs for voltmeter carburetor tuning, and here is a good method for bench testing an 02 sensor that has saved me money over the years (from http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/O2sensors.html):

"Testing O2 sensors on the workbench:

Use a high impedance DC voltmeter. Clamp the sensor in a vice, or use a plier or vice-grip to hold it. Clamp your negative voltmeter lead to the case, and the positive to the output wire. Use a propane torch set to high and the inner blue flame tip to heat the fluted or perforated area of the sensor. You should see a DC voltage of at least 0.6 within 20 seconds. If not, most likely cause is open circuit internally or lead fouling. If OK so far, remove from flame. You should see a drop to under 0.1 volt within 4 seconds. If not it's likely silicone fouled. If still OK, heat for two full minutes and watch for drops in voltage. Sometimes, the internal connections will open up under heat. This is the same a loose wire and is a failure. If the sensor is OK at this point, and will switch from high to low quickly as you move the flame, the sensor is good. Bear in mind that good or bad is relative, with port fuel injection needing faster information than carbureted systems.

ANY O2 sensor that will generate 0.9 volts or more when heated, show 0.1 volts or less within one second of flame removal, AND pass the two minute heat test is good regardless of age. When replacing a sensor, don't miss the opportunity to use the test above on the replacement. This will calibrate your evaluation skills and save you money in the future. There is almost always *no* benefit in replacing an oxygen sensor that will pass this test."

Stuart

Don

How did you end up dealing with the Ground ~ It should, I believe, be taken

care of through the Body of the O2Snsr being in contact with the ExhaustSystem ~

But I choose not to trust that as the Joints&Bolts in that Path tend to get Crudded

over time, so I ScrewClamp a wire to the O2SnsrBody & attach the other end to a

Good BodyGroundPoint ~

ORR ~ DeanB