Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:50:59 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Single wire Oxygen sensor: Substitution report..
Comments: To: craig@opus.com

I use a flashlight type "C" or "D" cell.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Craig C Forney [mailto:craig@opus.com] Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 6:49 PM To: 'Dennis Haynes'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Single wire Oxygen sensor: Substitution report..

I am not sure if it would cause any damage to the ECU, but I would be wary of putting 12V on the oxygen sensor input to the ECU, as it is only expecting a low amperage signal between 0 and 1V.

If 12V indeed has no bad effect on the ECU, and convinces the ECU that it is a fully rich condition, then I would agree that this would certainly would cause the engine to go lean.

However, if you are just checking to make sure that there is continuity on the wires, grounding the input, causing the engine to run rich, would probably be sufficient.

Craig in Cupertino