Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2014, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:08:04 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Camper Conversion Showdown
Comments: To: James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>

These are all modeled after our beloved Vanagon Westies (Vanagon content). Safety standards killed the Vanagon (among other things), and we got the Eurovan.

Unfortunately, VW got burned so badly on the Eurovan they likely won't have a van option in the US until they make it here or in Mexico. Strong Euro (I'll never understand why, given the Eurozone's terrible economy), import taxes, US safety standards, etc. made them uncompetitive. In 2001 they bumped the horsepower from 160 to 201 and dropped the price $4000 as a last ditch effort to remain in the US minivan market, but gave up in 2003. Too expensive and too few of the standard bells and whistles American's want (it didn't even have cup holders). The EVC was converted here by Winnebago on a partially finished stretch chassis to avoid tariffs, and it sold well, but the end of the EV was also the end of the EVC.

The most realistic option to hope for is reasonably priced conversions from Roadtrek, Sportsmobile, and Pleasure-Way on the soon to be arriving Ford Transit platforms, but these companies will need to go back to their roots to develop a basic "camper" conversion as opposed to the Class B motorhomes they make now. If you haven't seen it, check out the Westfalia Nugget on two different Transit platforms.

The reality is most Americans want Class B or larger motor homes and big trailers, just look around any large campground. My son found his '87 Westy this month because the owners tried it for a summer and just had to have a bathroom. Or at least the wife did.

It must be a cultural thing.

Stuart