Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:50:54 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: WBX 1.9 or 2.1... what would you do?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

if the 2.1 is really a Complete Engine .. including all exhaust .. you want that ..it's a significant upgrade from the exhaust system on the 1.9... better everything ..vastly superior mounting system ( the 1.9 bracket on the right is a joke ..the muffler is smaller .. there's no room for an oil cooler/heat exchanger etc. ) ..better flow I'd would think.

you can even retain the 2.1 oil cooler/heat exhanger by plumbing it into the 1.9 cooling system layout.

I like my rig with this arrangement a lot.

a general rule of life..all used VW engines need the head gasket/s replaced.

On 11/4/2014 7:01 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > You should be able to find a serviceable used 2.1 for $500, so get two, you'll need them. Remember, they are all old, and some will have been rebuilt with questionable quality. > > They are all over Craigslist here in the west, shipping will be the biggest issue. You use your current ECU and wiring, and put your 1.9 plumbing and exhaust on, just leave off the 2.1's oil cooler or install an aftermarket one, this is what I did when I put in a rebuilt 2.1 in my previous '84 15 years ago. The exhaust and cooling system are much simpler for your 1.9, and it's not worth trying to install the 2.1 systems IMHO. > > Virtually no good commercial rebuilder will build a 1.9 since it costs the same to make it into a 2.2, which is the smallest engine Go Westy builds (on the 1.9 case), but I wouldn't pay $4300+ for a WBX. > > This is why conversions are so popular. Here in Seattle we have four shops that do Subaru conversions, one of them also does Bostig conversions, and they all do a steady business. The production engine rebuilder in town doesn't do very many WBXs anymore, and he charges $2000-$2300 for a 2.2 build. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dan N > Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 6:38 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: WBX 1.9 or 2.1... what would you do? > > hi all > > a 85' with WBX 1.9 need to be rebuilt or at least the top end rebuilt.. > > if you have a choice to have the 1.9 rebuilt or swap in for a good used 2.1... > > for the same price... > > what would you do? > > thanks for any idea... > > dan >