Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Nov 2014 20:02:33 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 springs to a 90GL?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

On 11/5/2014 7:49 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > True for the camper too. Now that I have my son's '87 Westy parked next to my '85 Westy I can see a huge difference in the front height. Something to add to the to-do list. > > Stuart > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott ) > Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:54 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: '85 springs to a 90GL? > > in my experience all 85 Weekenders have too-tall front springs . > I replace them with 85 GL front springs and they sit level then. > > IMO..it's not that the rear sags.. > it's that the front is almost 2 inches taller due to the front springs being too tall. > > > > > On 11/5/2014 11:54 AM, Dan N wrote: >> since we talk about springs... >> >> I have one '85 weekender with poptop (no kitchen) and the rear sags >> quite bad... >> >> I have another '85 tintop and the rear doesn't sag at all.. btw it's >> quite high... higher than my Carat but lower than my Syncro... just in >> the middle... >> >> errr... so why's the difference? did they put different springs for >> the same '85 year? >> >> dan >> >> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Tony Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Cc >>> I would have even Steven swaped my 85 springs for the lower springs >>> of carats or later vanagons. >>> >>> Just putting that out there. Maybe the >>> >>> Sent from my iPod >>> >>> On Nov 5, 2014, at 2:37 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> wrote: >>> >>>> At 12:18 PM 11/5/2014, Nij.tp.vanaru wrote: >>>>> ebay seemed like the logical thing to do. Are there any additional >>>>> suspension/alignment changes that need to take place when I add >>>>> these springs?? I'm also going ot swap the PS rack for a manual >>>>> duringthe same procedure and replace the upper ball joints, so an >>>>> alignment is pretty much a given. TIA DM&FS >>>> If you do take out the PS -- the difference in low-speed steering >>>> effort between 205- and 185- tires is tremendous. I found parallel >>>> parking quite a struggle with the 205s. >>>> >>>> Yours, >>>> David The springs I got were from CO and not rusty at all. Even the rubber pieces were in good shape. They came off a tin top, but I have a set of Syncro Springs too, but thought they would not be a good match....AND they had over 200k on them and were really rusty(MN car). The Syncro they came off of was so rusty, I had to take the Sawzall to it.........some pieces left , but the speedo and tranny/front diff are long gone.

DM&FS