Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2014 11:38:11 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spare won't fit
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I'm sure you are right, but after looking at that video that was set up to show the spare tire being crushed I'd prefer to have one there. The manufacturers were doing their own thing in those days, and VW sales people said nothing more than the Vanagon has a "structural" front, as I recall.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: Alistair Bell [mailto:albell@shaw.ca] Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 10:20 PM To: Stuart MacMillan Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Spare won't fit

Stuart,

I'm doubtful about the necessity of having a tire up front in the spare carrier as part of the crash worthiness of the van. It's not that I doubt it might have some effect being there, it's just that I think it's a bad and unlikely decision on vw's part to design it into the crash worthiness and not mention this in the owners manual. ie stating that a fully inflated spare tire must be carried in the front spare carrier tray at all times.

Think about the liability issues resulting from requiring a fully inflated spare to be installed up front at all times . What if you have a flat and have to store the flat in the carrier after changing wheels? What if your spare has a leak?

It just seems to unlikely that vw designed the vans structure to require an inflated spare be in place.

Vw also made a rear spare tire carrier and I haven't found any documentation stating that using the rear carrier reduces the crash protection up front.

Alistair