Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2014 10:38:30 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Assessing CV joints?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

CV rarely fail suddenly and even when they get noisy you usually still have time. Grease is actually a lousy lubricant. It is the oil absorbed in the soap base that does the work and the Moly stuff n CV grease provides boundary lubrication when the oil is not there. If your joints are loaded with gear oil that is a lubrication upgrade except over time it will eat the boots. Properly packed CV joints do not have grease or oil in the boots.

That said you ca check the joints for radial play, some is normal but if you can grab the outer edge and get much more that an 1/8" rotary play before moving the axle the joint is wearing out. Most of those play will be in the dent the balls form in the inner and outer races. The clicking noises usually heard are from a combination of the lubricant failing and the balls working in and out of the edges of those dents.

Do be sure to use a torque wrench on those CV bolts and they should probably be replaced. Over the years I have seen many that came loose and the wheel or transmission flange can get damaged. It is very difficult to drill a new set of holes and get them right.

Dennis