Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:26:19 -1000
From:         "SDF ( aka ;jim lahey' - Scott )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil light problem
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@GMAIL.COM>

sure have. your first task is get the lower tin push rod tube cover off the left side. which can be difficult sometimes due to rusted exhaust nuts or bolts which help secure it.

once you have that off you'll see the oil pressure switch under there .. and that is where you'll attach your flex line ..where the OP switch unscrews from.

I run my flexible hose or line forward and up ...so it comes out between the t-stat housing and middle part of engine .. I put a T there so I can mount the electrical OP sender and the original oil pressure switch there.

running wires from back to front .. the nicest deal is follow the factory main harness. remove the instrument cluster .. remove the left headlight assembly ..the whole thing .. then run your wires from dash area through the rubber grommet hole and then down alongside the radiator and on back .. going over the fuel tank if your van is 2WD .

and yes..to have a real idea about engine bearings and oil clearance.. you gotta run an OP gauge .. I find many high miles watgerboxer engines idle at 6 psi hot ... like OP on a high miles waterboxer engine in rough terms is............ 'from 6 to 60' .

I run 20W50 if OP is lowish. if temps are super low I probably wouldn't though.

On 11/14/2014 2:34 PM, Dennis Jowell wrote: > Here we go, before reading all the great input from you folks about the oil pressure warning light/buzzer noise I ordered VDO Electric gauge kit from Bus Depot. I was told it had instruction on how to install the kit for my 1988 vanagon Westy. Opened the carton and well yes what it only had was a generic version from VDO not specific for my vehicle stuck inside the plastic cover. I am at a lost on how to install it. I had a great article from Ken at vanagain.com but got it after the fact of ordering the kit. He has this really nice rubber extension in his kit. To bad it didn't see this first. Can't return electrical stuff > Has anyone install one of these VDO electrical gauges ? > > Dennis Jowell > Scotch Hollow Farm >