Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2014 08:04:01 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Black Vapor and Rattle. And other stuff.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

More likely you have a bad idle speed controller or possibly the valve. This is common way for the controllers to fail.

Slight thread deviation here...

My Digifant engine has begun to occasionally idle very low, like just above dying...this began after an O2 sensor swap from a heated sensor to a single wire one. This low idle condition occurs when I have re-started after enough time for the exhaust system to cool down but the rest of the motor is still fairly warm....like a highway trip, then 20 minutes in a store somewhere and back to the van...it starts and runs fine, normal...but when I let it idle down for the first few minutes after the restart....it ticks over at about 3-400RPM, just barely stays running...Once it's run a minute or two, all is again good.

I have not yet opened the lid to listen for the Idle control valve's hum...nor have I ever figured how to test my throttle control switch, but that switch does "click" fine