Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:09:29 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: winter driving to Spokane
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Here in WA and OR for most conditions the DOTs allow "chains or traction tires," but under severe conditions chains can be required for all vehicles, even 4WD and AWD, or you will be stopped and turned back, or ticketed when you are in the ditch, adding insult to injury. Carry a set and test install them before you leave. I've seen more than one person install them on the rear when the car is front wheel drive, not that you would do that!

Stuart

Well, the advertising for the WRG3 is certainly in agreement with both of you.

Included in the promo is this statement:

"SEVERE SERVICE EMBLEM OR MOUNTAIN SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL DESIGNATION RATED FOR USE IN SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS"

Does that mean that I don't have to have chains for mountain passes even when the chain up sign is on, if I have these tires? I believe I probably would chain up if the sign is on, but just wondering about that. That is the meaning of the mountain snowflake symbol isn't it?

mcneely

---- Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > > > Of course we would be winter prepped, with proper tires, emergency > > gear, food and prepared for multi-day stops if necessary. > > > > My apologies, but this drive will not involve my camper, which has > > already been moved to Spokane, but rather my Prius. > > > > Thanks, Dave McNeely > > > > > Dave, > > I second Dennis's recommendation on the Nokian WRG3 for the Prius. > Last Fall, I put 4 on our 2006 Prius and after one year of driving on > them, I have the following observations: First, they are truly low > rolling resistance tires and we are getting the best MPG we have > observed since buying the Prius. Secondly and most importantly, they > are incredible snow/ice tires. For a period of time last winter we > had snow packed and at times, ice covered roads. Our Subaru with new

> expensive all season tires with good consumer ratings for snow could > not hold a candle to the Prius as far as winter driving was > concerned--stopping power, handling, and starting from a dead stop was

> exceptional. We left the all wheel drive Subaru in the driveway and only used the Prius when the roads were snow or ice > covered or we expected snow when travelling. I feel so comfortable with > the Prius and the WRG3 for winter driving, that when we sold the > Subaru, we replaced it with a two wheel drive vehicle. > > If the WRG3 were available for the 14" rims on a Westy in the proper > load range, they would be my preferred tire. As it is, if and when I > upgrade the rims to a larger size, I will go with a rim that allows me

> to use the proper WRG3 on the Westy. > > Harold > > Harold Teer > 1991 Westy -- VANGAUX > Harrisonburg, VA

-- David McNeely