Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 2014 06:37:42 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil pressure light
Comments: To: Dennis Jowell <dennisjowell@gmail.com>

I think it is a good idea to also know your oil temperature, so I have an oil temp. gauge, too.. I find the coolant temperature gauge and blinking light for the coolant and the oil pressure warning system, as supplied in the Vanagon, leaves me guessing about the accuracy of the indications. Everyone here on the list has heard of issues with the Vanagon Oil and temperature gauge systems. Yes, these glitches can be fixed, avoided (most of the time) or eliminated..(again, most of the time) with just a small amount of care and attention to detail....but in say downtown LA or on an Atlanta freeway during rush hour, you don't need to be second guessing warning lights and buzzers... With a simple electric gauge to indicate oil temp, too, I have a confirming system to back up the sometimes false or erroneous readings we Vanagon people frequently see and hear from the factory supplied warning indicators. If your temp gauge reads 'cold' and the heater in front is blowing cool air yet you see a higher than normal Oil temperature, a condition often seen in Vanagons, you will know you have a problem.. After you've become familiar with the operating range that is normal for your particular motor and driving style you'll be able to confirm that when you hear a low oil pressure buzzer it is because you've maybe been 'hammering' into a big headwind at 85mph and now your Oil temperature has climbed into the 240F range and it is now thin from the heat..slowing up a bit might be better for your motor.... The electric oil temp gauges are single wire without moving parts and not much to error..a good inexpensive supplement to your stock equipment.